The USS Lansing DER 388 was commissioned 18 December 1956 as a Radar Picket Destroyer Escort. The DER
extended the Continental Air Defense System seaward providing early warning for land-based interceptors.
Changes made during the conversion to DER include complete rearrangement of berthing, mess, CIC, radio, sonar
and machinery spaces. Aluminum deckhouse and radar masts were added. A TACAN aircraft beacon for control
of defensive aircraft was added as were, passive ECM, SPS-8 Height finding radar, SPS-28 Air Search radar and
SPS-10 surface search radar. The USS Lansing DER 388 was manned by U.S. Navy crewmembers from
commissioning date 18 December 1956 at Long Beach, California until the final decommissioning 21 May 1965
at the Pacific Reserve Fleet Bremerton, Washington.
A total of 948 men served aboard the DER version of Lansing