The former (WDE-488 – DE-388)
was commissioned as DER-388 at Long Beach, California. on 12-18-56
12-18-56 1200 Moored port side to Pier #6, Berth 62½, Long Beach Naval Shipyard, Long Beach, Calif
1500 The ship was placed in commission by Rear Admiral CAMPBELL, USN,
Commander, U.S. Naval Base, Los Angeles, in accordance with
CNO ltr Op-432C/RW Ser P43B of 10 Nov 56
1508 Lieutenant Commander Claude N. DE BUHR, USN, read his orders and assumed
Command of the U.S.S. LANSING, (DER-388).
USS LANSING DER-388 was decommissioned at Bremerton, Washington on 5-21-65
5-21-65 0000 Moored starboard side to YFNB-8 at Supply pier, Puget Sound Naval
Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, with standard destroyer mooring lines doubled,
in a nest of three ships. Ships in the nest from starboard to port are:
YFNB-8, USS LANSING (DER-388), and KODIAK (LSM 161),
receiving miscellaneous services from the pier.
Ships present include various units of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, yard and district craft.
SOPA is COMNORSECT NAVDEFEASTPAC / WESTSEAFRON
0800 Mustered the crew on stations. Absentees: none.
1000 Commander Bremerton Group Pacific Reserve Fleet accompanied by his staff came on
board for decommissioning ceremony.
1010 USS LANSING commission pennant hauled down. Secured the watch on board.
LANSING placed out of commission, in reserve.
LANSING was stricken from the Navy Vessel Register on 10 February 1974 and was sold to
Levin Metals Corp, San Jose, CA on 16 August 1974 for scrap.
She was dismantled at Richmond, CA in late 1974.