USCGC Lansing WDE 488 was commissioned 11 June 1952 in support of Korean War operations. The
Lansing was one of twelve WWII Fairbanks-Morse reduction geared DE's loaned to the Coast Guard,
performing weather patrol as well as search and rescue missions in the Pacific. The vessel was painted
white with a yellow stack, one hundred was added to the number and it was redesignated WDE while in
Coast Guard Service. In support of the new mission, a balloon shack was built aft of the stack.
Improvements were made in the heads, galley, and berthing compartments.
The USCGC Lansing WDE 488 was manned by Coast Guard crew members from commissioning date 11
June 1952 at Green Cove Springs, FL until decommissioning on March 29 1954 at San Diego, Pacific
A total of 273 men served aboard during the WDE years of Lansing.